It goes without saying that happiness is important. But sometimes it’s difficult to feel genuinely happy in our ever busy lives and we forget to check in with ourselves.
Here are five quick things you can do to guarantee instant happiness:
- Smile at a stranger. Smile at someone you pass in the street, and make sure you smile like you mean it. Smile at your bus driver or the barista in your coffee shop. It’s funny how such a small action can make a huge impact.
- Count your blessings. Take a moment to think about all the things you are grateful for. It’s probably a lot more than you realize.
- Live in the moment. Whatever you are doing, take a few moments to really appreciate what it is. Even if it’s something small like eating your dinner or having a conversation with your friends. Be present. Take it in. Forget about what you need to do later or what you have coming up at work. Just be in the moment, even if it’s only fleeting.
- Call an old friend. Someone you might have lost touch with. Call them just to say hello. If you’re not comfortable calling, why not shoot them a text or an email. You never know what could happen simply from reaching out.
- Donate to charity. It doesn’t have to be much. Even five dollars could make a difference – both to your happiness and someone else’s.